There are a lot of good reasons to list your home now, but if you, like many others, wish to wait until the quarantine is over before putting your home on the market, it would be wise to take this time and get it ready. To help, we’ve outlined some areas of focus and tips on how to make your home “for sale” ready.
Focus First on Curb Appeal: Curb appeal is your first chance to entice buyers, so focusing your attention here will ensure you grab their attention right away.
- Mow, weed, trim and water lawn regularly
- Paint or thoroughly wash the house exterior
- Repair and wash windows/screens
- Clean up after pets daily
- Spruce up yard with landscape lights
- Make sure you can read house address number
- Plant shrubs and flowers to create inviting, beautiful exterior
Create Neutral & Welcoming Living Areas: Inspire buyers by creating spaces where they can picture themselves, utilizing subtle colors and limited personal decorations.
- Hang a wreath on the front door
- Rearrange furniture for an open feel
- Paint the walls a neutral color scheme
- Play soft music to create a comfortable atmosphere
- Scale back family photos to a few tastefully framed pictures
- Make sure walls, carpet, light fixtures and floors are all repaired and cleaned
Highlight Kitchens & Bathrooms: Two key areas that buyers tend to focus on are the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Bake fresh rolls/bread to create a warm welcome
- Inspect cabinets and clear the countertops
- Check for leaky faucets, caulk sinks and tubs
- Create a mini spa in the bathroom, scrub/polish all sinks and decorate with guest soaps, bath oils and thick towels
- Purchase new shower curtain, liner and floor rugs
Focus On Bedrooms, Basement & Backyard: These often-overlooked areas can impress potential buyers and set your house apart from the competition.
- Beautify your entertainment center by adding a few books, art and pottery
- Place a candle on the nightstand and fold a quilt at the end of the bed
- Vacuum under beds and organize closets
- Place lawn furniture and small tables in conversational groupings
- Hang a picture in the laundry room
- Refresh patios by power washing or give wooden decks a boost with a fresh coat of stain