Why not take spring cleaning up a notch by doing more for the good of the planet? Utilizing any of these six ways to go green for spring can not only help reduce the cost of your bills, but also minimize your energy consumption and carbon footprint.
1. Reusable Shopping Bags: Instead of increasing the demand for plastic grocery bags, buy or make your own reusable bags. There are hundreds of options to choose from and they even have cooler bags for your perishable foods, making it convenient for your commute from store to home.
2. Energy-Efficient Appliances: Saving up money to invest in energy-efficient appliances will help cut down the cost of your energy bills. Additionally, they can also bring more value to your home if you were to sell it later on in the future.
3. Natural Light: Another way to minimize your electricity usage, besides turning lights off after you leave a room, is to utilize natural light for as long as possible. Summer months bring some of the longest days of the year, so open up your blinds and let the sun shine in. This cuts down on the need for indoor lighting and results in a lower electric bill.
4. Farmer’s Markets: Support your local economy by shopping at your community’s farmer’s market for weekly produce and baked goods. By not purchasing fruits and vegetables at a grocery store chain, you are reducing your food’s carbon footprint and contributing to a greener lifestyle.
5. Hot Water Heater: Turning down the temperature on your hot water heater by just a few degrees can have a significant impact on your energy bills. Since most of us don’t use the hottest setting for showering or washing hands, you might not even notice a difference.
6. Thrift Stores: Instead of throwing away clothes, books, toys and home furnishings, consider donating gently-used items to your local thrift store or community aid establishment. You are still getting rid of clutter that you no longer want, but you are doing so while simultaneously helping others and preventing further buildup in dumping sites.
One Comment Add yours