Neutrals are safe, easy to decorate around, and lend themselves to any design theme. Preferring a simple, neutral décor does not mean you are boring or dull! You can show off your personality and sense of style by “dressing up” up a neutral room!
A neutral is any color that stays in the background and doesn’t take over a room. Popular choices are beige, grey, ecru, cream, and brown. So when you can’t decide on a color for a room or furniture; keep it neutral and flexible. It will provide the perfect backdrop for easy, seasonal, and personal-style changes.
- Start with the walls – A neutral wall color keeps the room warm and white, contrasting trim will make the walls “pop”. A perfect combination!
- Carpet – Install a neutral color, trying for a shade or two darker than your walls. You can buy a less expensive carpet, because using area rugs in various colors or prints is a popular trend for adding color to a room. (plush padding can be installed for better carpet wear and to make it feel more expensive)
- Hardwood – If this is your preference in flooring, any wood tone will be fine.
- Furniture – Stick with neutral colors, but explore the great variety of textures and patterns that are available to break up the monotony. Rattan or wicker, and leather are considered neutrals and can add a bit of rich elegance to a room. If you are trying to save money, slipcovers and second-hand finds can also work great.
- Recycle – Paint end tables, coffee tables, nightstands, in the same color with an enamel finish. Matching your tables to the walls will give the room a larger, less-cluttered look.
Once you have your neutral palette complete, it’s time to have some fun!!
Accent color – This is used to bring some emphasis to your color scheme. Accents are expected to be a bit “bold”. You have the flexibility to add as much or as little as you want! Start with a key piece of wall art or an area rug to “anchor” your space. Look for colorful accessories to compliment the base color and these “anchor” pieces. Here are some suggestions…
• Lamps • Candles
• Artwork • Throw Pillows
• Vases • Throw Blanket
Texture – Not sure about adding color, then add texture. It will add dimension and depth to your décor. Wicker containers will add a roughness, while mirrors and glass will add sleek, smoothness. Soft plush bedding or pillows will add comfort and warmth. An area rug will bring coarseness and help define the space.
Greenery – Add life and movement to any room with plants. Potted plants, colorful flowers, hanging ferns, garland, and swags are a great way to add a splash of color. Place in the corner of a room, atop cabinetry, on tables or a decorative plant stand.
Follow these simple suggestions to show off your personality and style.
Change it up seasonally or whenever you have the urge.
You don’t have to break the bank to re-decorate or rejuvenate a room in your home…go ahead, have some fun!
One Comment Add yours