It’s no secret that the amount of houses on the market rises substantially during the summer months, making it more important than ever that your home is ready for the increased competition.
If you’re looking to avoid some of the common issues that can negatively affect a summer showing, take the following tips into consideration.
1. Keep the Air On: Even if you like a warm house, the last thing you want is for prospective buyer to be uncomfortable. When a potential buyer walks through your home on a hot day, you want them to be greeted with cool air, which will go a long way toward starting the showing on a positive note. Not only will a warm home during the hot months cause a level of discomfort, it can also drive someone out of the house before they have even had a chance to form a real opinion.
2. Offer Refreshments: While you never want to be at the actual showing, you can still create a positive first impression by leaving a pitcher of iced tea or lemonade on the kitchen table with a little note inviting house hunters to cool off with a refreshing drink. Many prospective buyers spend all day in the heat driving from house to house, so this is a great way to create memorable first impressions.
3. Keep the Lawn Manicured: You don’t need to hire a professional landscaper, but at the very least, be sure to keep the lawn mowed and clear of any sticks. It’s important to make sure there is nothing in the way that will keep the prospective buyers from being able to take a walk around the yard. A yard full of weeds – or one that looks like it hasn’t been taken care of – can quickly turn off a buyer.
4. Let There be Light: Take advantage of the bright sun that summer has to offer and keep your curtains open and your shades up, allowing plenty of natural light to shine through the space. A room with plenty of natural light will get prospective buyers thinking about different color schemes they can incorporate into the space once it is theirs.
5. Consider Outside Entertainment: Those shopping for a home during the summer months often have visions of outdoor barbeques and fun gatherings with friends and family on their minds. Make sure your patio or deck is organized, giving off a festive atmosphere. Decorate with fun outdoor fixtures and be sure to clean the grill. For those with pools, have the filter on and keep the water sparkling blue to really entice buyers.
AskHomesale.com provides real estate advice and information for home buyers, home sellers, and homeowners alike. Askhomesale.com is part of the Homesale Realty Family. The Homesale Family of Companies is the leading real estate company serving the Baltimore, Maryland, South Central and Southeastern PA real estate markets. Homesale Realty has more than 27 offices with over 1,200 REALTORS®. Homesale Realty’s footprint includes Maryland real estate offices in Baltimore City, Federal Hill, Fells Point, Westminster, and Timonium. Pennsylvania real estate offices include York, Lancaster, Wyomissing, Chambersburg, Gettysburg, Harrisburg, and Schuylkill Haven.
Tips for Home Buyers | Tips for Home Sellers | Tips for Homeowners