It is almost that time of year to “spring ahead” and to enjoy an extra hour of daylight each day! Mark your calendar and get set to change your clocks this Sunday, March 10, 2013. Daylight Saving Time (DST) officially begins at 2:01 a.m. on Sunday. DST is observed in most of the United States (except AZ, HI, PR, and a few other US territories) as a way to conserve energy. In order to avoid confusion or possibly forgetting, it is recommended that you set your clocks ahead one hour before going to bed on Saturday night.
DST is a great time to get into the habit of taking care of some very important items around your home.
Here are a few great suggestions:
• Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.
• Replace your smoke detector if it is more than 10 years old
• Replace your carbon monoxide alarm if it is more than 5 years old
• Check around your home for any hazardous materials that need to be discarded…make sure you handle their disposal properly.
• Check your medicine cabinet for out-of-date medications and discard them. This applies to over-the-counter medications also! Some can cause serious problems if you use them after the expiration date.
• Check the contents of your home emergency kit. Replace any item that is outdated or needs to be replenished…don’t forget to replace old batteries. If you don’t have a kit, this would be a great time to put one together.
• Check the contents of your car emergency kit too!
• Practice and review fire escape routes and family disaster plans.
• Reprogram your thermostat if applicable; check the filter on your furnace while you are thinking about it.
• Check all the lights and signals on your car and/or bike.
• Now is also a great time to think about those annual/semi-annual medical exams, vaccinations, dental visits, or other appointments you may have forgotten for you, your family, and pets.
Daylight Saving Time will end at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday in November…begin making it a habit to run through these checks twice a year! It will help make you and your family safer and more prepared!
Prudential Homesale has proudly partnered with Fox43 to be the exclusive real estate provider for fox43.com. Take a look at their real estate page today.