As Temperatures on the east coast rise above 100 degrees this weekend, you may find it rather difficult staying cool. Here are 10 ways to help beat the summer heat:
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothes.
- Drink LOTS of water.
- Eat small meals. The bigger the meal, the more metabolic heat your body creates to break down the food.
- Run your wrists under cold water every couple of hours. This helps to cool your blood.
- If you have a basement, try to use it during the hottest hours of the day while the sun is highest. Basements are typically 10-15 degrees cooler than the rest of a house.
- Keep the house curtains drawn.
- Avoid alcohol because it dehydrates the body. Also, avoid drinks with caffeine(Coffee, Soda). These drinks increase the metabolic heat in the body.
- Swap out your normal body moisturizer for a cooling Aloe Vera after sun product to help lower your skin temperature.
- Move SLOW. Avoid strenuous activity which stimulates your body and raises its core temperature. If you must get some outdoor exercise get out during the coolest part of the day, usually before 7am.
- Sleep under a sheet instead of a blanket. Or even better, place your sheets in a plastic bag and stick them in the fridge shortly before going to bed.